- All active Sheridan employees
Information Technology employs enterprise-level back-up and recovery systems to ensure that Sheridan’s important data is kept safe from threats such as viruses, disasters, system failures and human error. Your department may have important data that you wish to back-up and keep safe in this manner. A number of applications and services are automatically protected, including (but not limited to):
- Staff and Faculty Email (Microsoft Exchange);
- Administrative File Shares (“adminshare”);
- Staff and Faculty Home Directories (“G” drive); and,
- Other enterprise applications such as PeopleSoft, SharePoint, etc.
Features & Benefits
- Secure remote backup of business critical college data; and,
- Fast recovery of data in the event of loss due to viruses, disasters, or failures.
- If staff wish to back up data, please consider storing it in an already protected application such as email, file shares, or an enterprise system such as PeopleSoft or SharePoint; and,
- If staff have additional data they need to protect, and it cannot be stored in one of these systems, please contact the Information Technology Service Desk to discuss available options.
If staff require a restoration of lost data, please contact the Service Desk with the following information:
- The location of the file(s) that need to be restored (including the application they are stored in, and the folder path to the file);
- The date and time at which the file was believed to have been lost or corrupted; and,
- Please indicate whether you wish the file restored to the original location or to an alternate location.
Our retention policies for user data (non-Enterprise applications) are:
- Staff and Faculty Files ("G" drives, file shares, etc.): 2 weeks; and,
- Staff and Faculty Email: 6 months;
- Backups are designed for disaster-recovery purposes and are not intended as a long-term archive.